Saturday, October 23, 2010

Helping children to focus and eat better at the table

A mom shared this technique with me in order to help her child be more involved with the meal and to help them to eat better. She places the chopped foods into an empty ice cube tray. The child loves to pick the foods out of the compartments to eat them.

This can also work with the plastic plates that are divided into sections. Again referring to the CDC's website on milestones, children learn very early on to put things into containers and to take them out, this skill is fascinating to a 12 month-18 month old.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel, I love your blog! What a great idea!
    I often speak about how as parents we can help build a healthy relationship with food for our children. Not just to prevent eating disorders such as anorexia but also to prevent compulsive overeating as well. I have a list of tips for parents I use in my presentations you are welcome to post them on here if you are interested. Feel free to check out my blog, it is www.afuturefortomorrow.blogspot.com
    I'm so excited that our paths have crossed again!

    ReplyDelete